We recently caught up with Sydney Hip Hop artist Can Okan to discuss his new single, the coronavirus and much more!
1. Tell us a bit about yourself?
I’m an Aussie rapper with a mission of pushing the genre forwards!
2. You have just released your new single called Say To Him. What inspired this track?
Partially inspired from my fall from grace in 2017, to make a long story short I was handed a generous amount of opportunities that I took for granted.
3. What is the highlight of your career to date?
Probably how much buzz I got from releasing a short film/song called W’sup back in 2017.
4. Do you prefer playing live or recording in the studio?
Probably playing live, the energy is unparalleled.
5. If you could collaborate with any artist, who would it be?
6. What advice do you have for young Hip Hop artists out there that are just getting started?
Appreciate your baby steps but don’t get so cocky that you can’t see your short comings. Try to make music from a true place and also learn as much as you can about marketing.
7. Who is your greatest inspiration, and why?
Kanye West for many reasons but mostly for his role in progressing hip hop and music as a whole. His ability to reinvent himself and bring something fresh/futuristic is truly commendable.
8. What are your thoughts on the current happenings in the world?
I’m not sure what to think but in times like these I look to voices like Sam Harris and Coleman Hughes to keep me grounded in reason.
9. How have you been coping with the COVID situation?
Luckily life isn’t too different for me.
10. What is next for Can Okan?
I’ve got an EP dropping soon that I’m very excited to share with everyone, from there I want to continue building a fan base of legends who want to see Aussie Hip hop transcend its stereotypes and create waves of its own!