Adelaide Heavy Rockers Colibrium recently released their new EP Carried and have just finished up their Australian tour.
We caught up with the band to chat about their new EP and a bunch of other stuff!
1. How did the name ‘Colibrium’ come into fruition?
We wanted a name that described balance. Colibrium means a balance of two colours, which represent melody and rhythm in music
2. How long have you been playing music?
We’ve been together since 2015. Technically since 2013 but 2015 as we are now.
3. What inspires your music?
We’re very much inspired by the music itself. The building of the songs, melody, chord progressions and the attention to making sense of where the songs go.
4. Congrats on the release of your new EP ‘Carried’! What is your favourite song from the EP and why?
Thanks! Definitely the title track “carried by the word”. This song gives us a lot of satisfaction as it evolved over time to the 7 minute epic it is. The choir, the movement and the dynamics really represent what we love to write.
5. What is your favourite place to play in Australia?
We love playing in Adelaide because of our home support crowd but Melbourne is a definite close second. Nothing better than a road trip with the guys to play a show!
6. Best food to eat when on tour?
We have a few foodies so we usually splurge a bit. Depending on where we stay we sometimes cook too. We love a big breakfast fry up and try to keep it pretty healthy otherwise.
7. The best part of being in a band?
Those moments when you realise that you are greater musicians as a group rather than individuals. Also the brotherhood and love that comes from spending so much time together.
8. And the worst part?
Not being able to just do music full time and hang out all the time.
9. Advice for up and coming Australian musicians?
Forget money and just worry about the songs. You won’t get rich in dollars, get rich in music.
10. What is next for Colibrium in 2019?
We have a couple of support shows were looking at, and will be getting started on pre production for the next record. We just want to make more music!